Monday, May 11, 2009

Sorrow and Uncertainty

Coming to terms with my fundamental disagreements involving so many aspects of institutionalized expected behavior, I have decided to run away from it all. This semester, and I hate constant referral to University as the source of my grief, I feel large gaps of unfulfilled priority have been super ceded by academia. So much of my devotion and work has poured over the structured demands of professors, who know what they do. This hardship isn't voluntary, as so many might assume. My academic studies for a diploma exists now unrecognized as necessity. This fact alone leaves the false impression that certain aspects of mandatory coursework are "for the greater good" rather than what they really are: academic minutiae. Combined with constant reverberated complaint from professor to pupil, unwelcome assignments, and catastrophic economic realities for so many, this graduation comes not as a relief, but more of a complete disappointment. I literally feel I might have wasted three years of my life. Not to completely blame the University (although after four years of tuition payments much is left to be desired), but the morale and social reality of San Jose is simply contrary to academic success. Students commute, attend courses, and leave. The lack of community and conducive environments where students can engage and imbibe their studies is so disheartening that SJSU might as well be a corporate employer (and a bad one at that). In short, I could care less about a piece of paper with the thanks of the bureaucrats. I want my money back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment